At Brock Built, we are passionate not only about the homes we build, but about creating the kind of gourmet kitchens that the whole family can enjoy. For us, the kitchen is the place where a lot of “magic” happens and lasting memories take shape. Since our family is large, we need plenty of space to carry on family traditions around the holidays, and enjoy spending quality time together over family meals. If you love cooking as much as we do, we hope you’ll enjoy some of these handy tips in your own kitchen! Save time. Sometimes, in the midst of our very busy lives, we forget to do the simple things…like pull the meat out of the freezer to thaw for tonight’s dinner. Whoops! Here are a few time saving tricks for the kitchen.
- Cut defrosting time by up to 30% by placing your frozen beef or chicken on an aluminum sheet tray or skillet. Since aluminum is a great conductor of heat, it will draw energy from the warmth of the environment around it and into the frozen food much faster than simply sitting it on a cutting board or countertop to thaw.
- Caramelize onions in half the time by adding a pinch of baking soda to the pan.
- Using fresh corn for tonight’s dinner? Microwave it first and it will fall right out of the husk. No shucking required, and it will come out silk free!
- Freeze the leftovers. Even after the most delicious meals, you may have a serving or two left. Don’t let it go to waste! Place your leftovers in an air tight container and store in the freezer for up to several months. You can also repurpose your ice cube trays and preserve fresh hard herbs like rosemary, sage, oregano, and thyme by freezing them oil.
- Save time and cut down on energy costs this summer by using a slow cooker. Here are a few delicious summer recipes from Better Homes and Gardens for you to try.
- Keep the lid on when you can. A tight fitting lid keeps heat in so that you can cook at a lower temperature, faster. This will allow you to turn off the stovetop sooner and prevent things from getting too hot in the kitchen, forcing your AC into overdrive.
Save the mess.
- Coat your cheese grater with non-stick cooking spray for clean, easy shredding.
- Cook items on parchment or foil when roasting or baking and you’ll have one less pan to scrub afterward!
- Wipe down spills as soon as they happen and save yourself from using extra elbow grease later after they’ve hardened.
Last of all, go gourmet! As one of the top builders in metro Atlanta, Brock Built takes pride in customizing the kinds of new homes our buyers want. For us, kitchens are a top priority and include upscale finishes and features like hardwood flooring, large islands, granite countertops, custom cabinetry, stainless steel and energy efficient appliances, double ovens and open layout designs. Whether you’re looking for a laid-back suburban lifestyle or city living, Brock Built offers new homes for sale in exceptional locations including Midtown, East Atlanta, East Cobb, Woodstock, Marietta, and Smyrna. Call us today at 404-472-5707 or visit the Brock Built website to see all of our communities.